Tuesday, May 4, 2010

When the answer is "No"


In a world where facebook is about the number one source of communications and we no longer call people because its too easy to text them, it comes to no surprised that this post will have SOMETHING to do with the growing social network Twitter. I dont use my twitter account often but when i do its always a joy. Today i came across a retweet that came from RevRun. He said "All of your prayers are answered...just admit sometimes the answer is NO". Now i know that RevRun isn't exactly a preacher or an ordained pastor but he brings up a good point. God answers all of our prayers. Sometimes its just hard to listen with spiritual ears when he is saying "No" to us.

I have often prayed for things that i believed i needed. I have also come across times when i feel that something is essential to my spiritual life, and because its essential than God will say yes. I have found myself praying and praying day after day until God gives me what "i need" when He probably told me within the firstweek of praying that it was NOT what i needed and He will NOT give me something that may harm me.

Faith requires that we see with spiritual eyes and hear with spiritual ears. Are you listening to God's voice, or are you listening to the voice you have made up for God. Friends i can assure you that there is a difference between God's will in your eyes, and God's actual will.

I spoke with a friend yesterday and i came to this conclusion:
Just because you do something for God doesnt mean that that is your calling. Don't get me wrong, the bible is clear when it says that everything can be used to glorify God and our goal should be to do just that. But i challenge you with this. What about an usher that has been an usher for 40 years, because he was desperate for serving, yet failed to accept his missionary calling of starting over 20 churches in all of Asia. I kid you not, many people have lived serving in one area, which is great, but failed to complete God's calling for them. Why does this happen?

Sometimes we choose and sort the things God has called us to do. I wanted to be a graphic designer and use it to glorify God. There would have not been anything wrong with that except it wasn't God's calling for my life. There IS a difference between a passion and a calling. I can be good at art yet be called to worship ministry, which i am not unfortunatly. I can be a good guitar player yet be called to organize the ushers at a local church. We must discover God's PERFECT WILL for our lives as Romans 12 tells us. And sometimes when we ask God to allow us to go into one kind of ministry God may be calling us to another one. Sometimes the answer is "no". Don't make it a "yes" if God said "No". Chances are that IF you are answering God's calling, God will see you through it the whole way.

How do i find my calling? SCRIPTURE, PRAYER, FASTING, and most importantly LISTENING. God desires to speak to you. So talk to him. Then, dwell in silence. Dont pray to God and ask him for a response and then say amen, then get up and leave. Don't do that! Pray, ask, then be quiet and listen. Sometimes God doesnt answer because you dont let him speak. LISTEN, dwell in His silence, and be prepared if he responds with a "No".

No comments:

Post a Comment